Using a proprietary abrasion process, base metal is controllably removed to create the high coefficient of friction surface that is slip resistant.
GripTread is permanent, in the context that it will not break, chip, flake or be removed from the base metal. GripTread far exceeds foot traffic wear testing values, which simulates two years of service. Our earliest R&D installations have been in constant service of foot and forklift traffic for over 8 years without failure. However, GripTread can be damaged with extreme conditions - grinding wheels, heavy metal-to-metal contact – so certain precautions must be taken to avoid damage.
The GripTread proprietary abrasion process produces a constant 0.90 or higher Dynamic Coefficient of Friction (DCOF) rating – over 2X the required value for most applications. As a result of the inherent high performance of our baseline process, we currently only produce one standard offering.
Yes! GripTread design resources can produce 3D models, detailed drawings and PE stamped drawings to satisfy your project needs. We have a great deal of experience in designing staircases, crossovers, catwalks, mezzanines, platforms, rolling staircases/ladders, floor coverings and more. In particular, we bring expertise in washdown and sanitary design experience for food & beverage, pharmaceutical and cosmetics.
Yes! GripTread’s fabrication resources include skilled and qualified tradesmen who can cut, form, weld, and polish components of the entirety of your project. When paired with our design services, we can design and fabricate modular sections that will aid in the delivery and installation of your project.
Yes, with the help of our qualified partners! GripTread has access to the manpower and equipment necessary to tackle installation services. When paired with our design services, we can design modular sections that will aid in the delivery and installation of your project – expediting on-site schedules.
In general, GripTread sheets can be worked using the same methods you would employ on the alloy and thickness if it were plain sheet, without the non-slip surface. GripTread sheets can be:
- Sheared, saw, plasma, laser and waterjet cut
- Welded by all methods (GTAW, GMAW, SMAW, etc.)
- Formed in press brake or rolls
- Welds cleaned by wire brush, chemicals, or localized electro-chemical cleaning
Additional caution in handling is advised, and certain efforts must be taken to protect the non-slip surface or the fabrication tooling during the build and installation process.
- When rolling, cardboard is an effective way to protect the non-slip surface as well as the rolls from any damage. In our testing, failure to use protection of the non-slip surface during rolling will result in an undesirable decrease of Dynamic Coefficient of Friction (DCOF).
- When forming, die film (thin plastic) or cardboard can be used to protect the dies – however, it is not critical.
GripTread non-slip surface cannot be painted, coated or glass/sand blasted without resulting in an undesirable decrease of Dynamic Coefficient of Friction (DCOF).
There are more than a few reasons why GripTread is the superior product and should be your first choice for fabricating walking surface installations:
- GripTread is ready and available! Most orders ship within 2 weeks of order, and many common sizes can ship even sooner. Need to expedite a project? We understand that deadlines can have critical influence on your customer relationships and we are here to help with expedited services when required.
- GripTread is tough! The surface treatment won’t break, chip, flake or be removed by your normal fabrication methods. Competitive products that use additive processes to create their non-slip surface rely on bond strength, which fails when formed or mishandled and begins to chip away from the damaged area. Once the surface fails in these areas, it has an increased likelihood to propagate and result in a loss of slip resistance. With GripTread, there is no material added to create the non-slip surface and nothing to fail. In the event that there is damage to the surface through excessively poor handling or abuse, the damaged area will never propagate.
- GripTread is easy to weld on! Other products on the market that use additive processes have a thermal history with oxides present that can contaminate welds, especially on stainless steel. In order to avoid the oxide issue, the coating should be ground off in the weld joint area to ensure a clean weld, free of oxides or porosity. With GripTread, there is no thermal history with our surface finish produced by abrasion and no need to grind the surface treatment away from the weld joint – saving you time and consumables cost!
- GripTread is easy to cut and form! GripTread can be formed without any damage to your punch or dies, or for an extra level of protection for your tooling or the surface die film (thin plastic) or cardboard can be used. Competitive products with an irregular surface, like diamond plate, can damage your costly tooling. If your application requires rolling, GripTread can be rolled by simply applying cardboard as an effective way to protect the non-slip surface as well as the rolls from any damage. With GripTread you can shear, saw, plasma, laser and waterjet cut.
- GripTread is a great way to offer your customer peace of mind that they are getting the best solution on the market to ensure the walking safety of their staff and visitors.